Call Me via Grand Central

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Just finished seeing Sky High with the boys, and I have to say it was quite fun. It wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, or even one of the greatest super hero movies I've seen. But, I still had fun regardless. Disney's teen superhero flick makes fun of superhero and supervillian cliches just enough to poke fun at itself without completely spoofing itself in the process. The effects are quite good, and the staff/teachers at the school totally make the movie. If you're looking for a fun movie that doesn't take it itself too seriously, and will leave you with a smile at the end, then check this one out :)

Also, I just last night rewatched Primer with my new roommates and some friends. This movie is a trip and a half. It is great, because the movie doesn't stop for exposition or try to hit you over the head with obvious explanations. You have to just hang on and hope that you understand what is going on. The film ostensibly revolves around a device that two of the characters create in their garage, their discovery of the device's true capabilities, and the repercussions of that discovery. Their biggest problem revolves around the choices they are forced to make, and the consequences those choices end up having. I can't say any more for two reasons:

1) I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it
2) I can't be sure if any of my assumptions about the movie are right or not!

To call Primer confusing at parts is an understatement. Crucial pieces of information oftentimes slip from the actors lips without any added emphasis, forcing you to connect the dots as best you can. But, for myself, I enjoyed the movie thoroughly. I've also watched it 3 times, and only now feel confident enough to try to explain it to others.

And, as interesting side note, one of the actors from the movie, David Sullivan, just started working at the restaurant where my roommate works. She said she's been training him, and knew he was in a movie or something but not much more. Now that she's seen Primer though, she has a billion questions to ask him, and I'm not surprised. I can only hope she convinces him to come over sometime, so I can rack his brain about writing and films. Here's to hoping!

_____________________________________________________________________________________
UPDATE: I just realized I never updated my experiences with XLinkKai on my XBOX. I won't give full details until tomorrow (as there is a LOT to cover), but I just wanted to put it out there, and let y'all know that tomorrow I will cover that AND the beauty and wonder you can achieve with a modded XBOX. Until then . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sky High was the movie I went down to NY to audition for. Remember that?? ;-)